- There are no minimum academic requirements.
All students (international and domestic) for whom English is not a first language:
- must demonstrate English Language skills with an IELTS overall band score (academic) of 5.5, with no band score lower than 5.0 OR
- must provide acceptable alternative evidence of English language proficiency depending on the visa decline rate of the country you are from. See here for acceptable evidence and visa decline rates by country.
All scores must be achieved in a single test completed in the preceding two years. You cannot combine scores from multiple tests. If you have achieved NCEA Level 3 University Entrance you are not required to provide evidence of English Language skills.
- Learners who will be aged under 18 during activities that require the tasting of alcohol will not be allowed to participate in this activity without first producing a signed guardian consent form.
Please note: An interview may be part of the application process.
Graduates will be able to carry out brewing quality assurance and production processes under broad supervision. Graduates of this qualification will have the skills and knowledge required to work as a brewer in a commercial brewing operation, under broad supervision.
You will study for 34.5 hours per week.
- Brewing Basics (Level 4, 15 credits)
- Introduction to Practical Brewing (Level 4, 15 credits)
- Fundamentals of Brewing Equipment and Processes (Level 4, 15 credits)
- Practical 1 (Level 4, 15 credits)
- Fundamentals of Brewery Operations (Level 4, 15 credits)
- Quality and Safety in Brewing (Level 4, 15 credits)
- Regulatory Requirements in Brewing (Level 4, 15 credits)
- Practical 2 (Level 4, 15 credits)
Expand your learning by undertaking our New Zealand Certificate in Brewing (Level 5).
Full-time domestic students of this programme are eligible for student loans and allowances (dependent on age and financial circumstances.) Please contact Studylink for additional information. Phone 0800 88 99 00 or visit: www.studylink.govt.nz
If you already have extensive knowledge and skills gained from practical experience in this area, enquire about our recognition of prior learning process at Capable NZ. You may have already gained credits towards this qualification in the course of your life. www.capablenz.ac.nz
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.