- The New Zealand Certificate in Cookery (Level 4) OR equivalent OR evidence of at least one year of relevant industry experience.
- International students will be individually assessed to ensure you meet the entry requirements. Click here for your country's equivalent entry criteria.
- If English is not your first language, you must provide:
- New Zealand University Entrance OR
- Overall Academic IELTS 5.5 with no individual band score lower than 5.0 (achieved in one test completed in the last two years), OR
- Acceptable alternative evidence of the required IELTS (see here for NZQA proficiency table and here for list of recognised proficiency tests).
If you need to improve your English Language skills, we offer a wide range of English programmes.
Have you been working in a supervisor position within a kitchen and want your skills formerly recognised?
We offer a APEL (Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning) process which matches your existing experience and knowledge against this Level 5 Diploma.
This process will drastically reduce the time taken to gain this qualification. It is especially valuable for those who are currently employed as you don't have to leave your job to achieve this qualification.
If you have experience in staff development, purchasing, operating procedures, finance, and creating dishes and menus, please send your email to Tony Heptinstall (firstname.lastname@example.org) or give him a call to discuss your situation - 021 735 229).
You must supply certified copies of proof of identity and proof of residency (where appropriate).
If the number of applicants exceed the available places, a waitlist will be used to ensure preference is given to applicants in order of application.
You will need to purchase your own knife kit, knives, uniform. This will cost approximately $600. Please contact us for more information. Email email@example.com
Upon successful completion of this Diploma, you'll be in a great position to apply for our Bachelor of Culinary Arts (offered at our Dunedin campus).
You will be advised of all risks associated with this programme in the covering letter that is enclosed with all enrolment packs. Parental consent must be obtained if you are under 18.
You will spend the majority of your time in the training and production kitchens. You will be required to participate in classroom and online learning. You will undertake work placement which is a vital component of this programme as you will be expected to compare Otago Polytechnic procedures and standards with what occurs in your placement.
Upon successful completion of this qualification, you will be able to:
- Monitor and maintain health and safety, food safety and security practices to ensure own safety and minimise potential hazards for customers.
- Monitor and maintain interactions between colleagues, managers and customers.
- Monitor and maintain the application of standard operating policies and procedures to work roles in a commercial kitchen.
- Apply cookery skills to prepare, cook and present a
- range of cold larder dishes,
- range of hot kitchen dishes, and a
- range of patisserie and desserts
- employing complex preparation and presentation techniques.
|Course name||Level||OP Credit|
|Introduction to Advanced Cookery||5||45|
Student loans and allowances are for domestic students only. For information about student loans and allowances please visit the Studylink website. It is important to apply for your student loan/allowance at the same time as you apply for this programme, due to the length of time Studylink take to process. Loan/allowance applications can be cancelled at any time if you decide to withdraw your programme application or if it is unsuccessful.
If you have extensive knowledge and skills due to practical experience in this area, enquire at our Central Otago campus about our recognition of prior learning process. You may have already gained credits towards this qualification. Phone 0800 765 9276 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.