- A love of the outdoors
- An excellent level of health and fitness
- Good communication and people skills
- The ability to motivate people
- A mature approach and good decision-making skills.
Graduates of this programme will be able to:
- Demonstrate technical competency and judgment across a range of outdoor activities while operating in familiar and unfamiliar outdoor environments.
- Integrate principles of health, physical and psychological performance to enhance competent and safe participation for self and others in a range of outdoor activities.
- Role model and integrate the principles of kaitiakitanga, sustainability and environmental action while operating in a range of outdoor contexts.
- Role model respect for the tikanga and kawa of local iwi and/or hapū and other cultural groups while operating in a range of outdoor contexts.
- Apply teaching, learning and leadership theories and practices to programmes of learning and skill development that meet the needs of participants in outdoor activities.
- Plan, prepare and instruct or guide participants in a range of outdoor activities while maintaining safe, ethical and professional practice in familiar and unfamiliar outdoor environments.
- Instruct or guide a range of outdoor activities that are consistent with the safety management system of an organisation, including being able to assess and manage an emergency care situation in an isolated location.
Opportunities exist for you to bridge across into other Institute of Sport and Adventure qualifications. Increase your career prospects with the Bachelor of Applied Science (Physical Activity, Health and Wellness) degree at Otago Polytechnic or the Bachelor of Physical Education degree at the University of Otago. Special conditions apply and in some cases you will receive advanced standing for these qualifications.
Student loans and allowances are for domestic students only. For information about student loans and allowances please visit the Studylink website. It is important to apply for your student loan/allowance at the same time as you apply for this programme, due to the length of time Studylink take to process. Loan/allowance applications can be cancelled at any time if you decide to withdraw your programme application or if it is unsuccessful.
If you have extensive knowledge and skills due to practical experience in outdoor education and activities instruction, enquire about our recognition of prior learning process at Capable NZ. You may have already gained credits towards this qualification.
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.